Dr Jonathan M Levitt
Dr Jonathan M Levitt
Senior Researcher in Informetrics
School of Mathematics and Computing, University of Wolverhampton
Tel +44 (0) 1902 321470
Email J.M.Levitt @ wlv.ac.uk
Research in informetrics, scientometrics, citation analysis, Mendeley, scholarly communication, research impact, research policy, public engagement and social media. Interested in the information needs of people with disabilities. His most recent research has focused on the application of informetric methods to health and disability research.
Selected publications in scientometrics
- Levitt J.M. (2015). What is the optimal number of researchers for social science research? Scientometrics, Vol. 102, No. 1, pp. 213-225
- Levitt, J.M., & Thelwall, M. (2013). Alphabetization and the skewing of first authorship towards last names early in the alphabet. Journal of Informetrics Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 575– 582. Preprint.
- Levitt J.M. (2011). Preliminary findings on whether it is good value for money to fund larger research groups. ISSI Newsletter, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 57-62.
- Levitt J.M., Thelwall M. and Oppenheim C. (2011). Variations between subjects in the extent to which the social sciences have become more interdisciplinary. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 62, No. 6, pp. 1118-1129. Preprint.
- Levitt J.M. and Thelwall M. (2011,). A combined bibliometric indicator to predict article impact. Information Processing and Management,Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 300-308. Preprint.
- Levitt J.M. and Thelwall M. (2010). Does the higher citation of collaborative research differ from region to region? A case study of Economics. Scientometrics, Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 171−183.
- Levitt J.M. and Thelwall M. (2009). Citation levels and collaboration within Library and Information Science. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 434−442. Preprint.
- Levitt J.M. and Thelwall M. (2008). Is multidisciplinary research more highly cited? A macro-level study. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 1973−1984. Preprint. Report in the Times Higher Education.
- Levitt J.M. (2007). Developing and applying a metric for estimating trends in databases of articles, Collnet Journal of Scientometrics and Information Management, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 17−21.
Research on health and disability
- Levitt J.M. and Thelwall M. (2015). How often are patients interviewed in health research: An informetric approach. Presentation at the 15th international conference on scientometrics and informetrics in Istanbul.
- Levitt J.M. (2014). Adjustment for disability in research assessment. Presentation at the Higher Education Funding Council for England’s Equality and Diversity workshop in Sheffield.
- Member of the ESRC Peer Review College
- Officer of the Metrics SIG and the European Chapter of the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIST)
- Appointed to the Doctoral forum committee of the 13th and 14th conferences of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics
- Reviewer of journal articles for Social Networks, Journal of Informetrics, Scientometrics, Canadian Journal of Information and Library Science and Aslib Proceedings
- Reviewer of conference proposals for American Society for Information Science and Technology, International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics, Science and Technology Indicators and International Symposium of Information Science
- Member of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics
- Member of the London Forum of the Royal National Institute of Blind People.
- Member of the Macular Society.